Sunday, January 18, 2015

Conclusions

The theme for this weekend appears to be catching up on the wreckage from the week before. Did a bit of writing, but not nearly enough to qualify as "progress" (although I am very happy with what I did write). Definitely not enough to qualify as "a chapter", unless you have a very special definition of what a chapter is.

As I mentioned before, I'm going to have to chisel time out of my daily schedule for it, I think. Get up an additional fifteen minutes earlier every day, get a bit of writing done daily. Otherwise, I hit the weekend with about five thousand words to beat through and that's...not copacetic with the notion of quality writing. Not when I'm also trying to catch up on sleep and get some R&R in.

Not to mention there's just something really great about kicking off the day having written something. You walk into work with your brain already fizzing and popping. It's a good way to get your batteries topped off before you have to start interacting with other human beings, solve problems and so on.

But yeah. I can't say I'm exactly knocking this one out of the park, yet. The new job is really sapping my creative energies at the moment. After a week or two, when I've had a chance to find my feet, when writing in my free time is a creative outlet, rather than just another demand on my mental focus, that'll be different.

Still, a new job is a great time to rethink habits. You are already blowing up a billion ingrained routines and mental scripts. You have new people to work with, a new schedule to get used to. You turn a different direction when you leave for work in the morning. You might be paid on different dates, requiring different budgeting. You might have a different dress code, different daily concerns. You get the idea. If you are going to set up resolutions, you might as well do it now. After all, if you already have a thousand changes to your daily routine, there's not a whole lot of difference between that and a thousand and one changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment