Sunday, January 25, 2015

Back In The Swing

And I've just finished a chapter. I was afraid I'd have to procrastinate another week, which would suck.

Nothing's worse than a resolution that you're too fucking stubborn to give up, but too distracted to make progress on.

You go through the entire week with the sense that you've got unfinished business. But it's still just a resolution, so you feel a bit silly about the whole affair, knowing that you should either just freaking take care of it or give it up. You get that little twitch of stress every time you put off working on it and it's layered--just a bit--with a bit of self-consciousness since you know that it's all on you and nobody besides you really gives a hoot whether or not you follow up on it.

Still.

Fun chapter. The talkie bit at the beginning was something I was a little afraid of, that it would wind up being too straightforward and rambling, or maybe even a little cutesy, but I think it did a good job of introducing the subplot and ramping up tension between Llerg and Neah.

And then I had some action to write, which didn't go as easily as I thought it would--action's usually pretty easy for me. Usually.

I'll have to go back through the chapter and iron out the wrinkles. It's a little on the short side and I could use that extra space to reinforce Llerg's voice, I think. Maybe add some more detail to the setting. There's also a bit of internal monologue early on that I don't think works quite well, just yet. It's in the ballpark of what I wanted, but it's still a little off.

No comments:

Post a Comment