Sunday, September 28, 2014

New Beginnings

...and I've done the last 500 word write-up. This one is about Spirals & Triangles, the detective story about a sentient coral reef, his adopted telepathic niece, and an extreme sports outpost at the edge of a particularly dangerous sector of space. Sexbots, clones, melting alien faces, abandoned battle fleets and the trash heap of the universe may also feature.

I'd forgotten how awesome the characters in that story were and the chemistry between Llerg and Neah. Great fun. Also, it's in the same universe as the Down & Out stories, and that's always pretty great.

At this point, I'm leaning towards doing this one, because it seems like the most fun, although the diesel punk one is still a strong contender. I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning after I've had a chance to sleep on it.

Good times.

I've suddenly acquired a heck of a lot more free time recently, so I'm tempted to up the limit in the writing challenge from 500 to 1000 words, at least once I get to the point when I start writing this next book, whatever it is, instead of the outline/background stuff.

Hopefully, at this rate, I'll be able to crank it out in about two or three months, instead of the thirteen *cough* eighteen or so it took for me to do my last one.

Before I get balls-deep into the writing, though, I might do a short story or two, since it's been awhile.

Also, I need to allow a chance for ideas to simmer deep down in my gut. That's the thing about writing. That first idea, that moment of fist-shaking hell-yeah inspiration? That's...usually crap. The second idea you get isn't so good either. The third? Third ideas are usually a bit better.

The reason for this is, that first idea you get? That's a conditioned response from all the media you've seen and people you've spoken to. It's not bad, occasionally, but if it's a off-the-cuff response for you, it's probably an off-the-cuff response for a lot of people. It's why when you're in a writing class, you tend to see the same stories. Over. And over. And over.

A good idea grows through negotiation. You pull it out, stare at it and then you ask it uncomfortable questions. Turn it upside down. Spank it a little.

One author once said a great way to upturn conventional wisdom is to find the thing you least want to happen--the most shocking thing you can do, throw caution to the wind type stuff--and ask why you shouldn't do it. At the very least, taking the notion seriously and saying "why not?" and "how about this?" will be illuminating.

Get silly, get weird, get argumentative, be a mean bastard. All steps in the brainstorming process. And to get that with the book I'm writing, I'm going to have to let it simmer for a bit. Maximize the amount of "ah ha! Eureka!" moments when I'm doing something else.

Not stellar progress here because I've got a lot on my mind and I'm still brainstorming a good direction for the next book.

Totals:  545, 552, 536, 786, 601, 529 and 523.

No comments:

Post a Comment