Sunday, May 4, 2014

Failed Experiments

I'm forced to admit my experiment over the last few months of getting up at 5:30 in the damn morning every day is a failure. Not a colossal one, not even a slightly larger than usual one. On the fail-o-meter (tm), it's probably a 2 out of 10, right above not matching your socks properly, but way below sparking a major land war against China.

The original idea was to maximize my writing time in the morning. An additional half hour, paired with my increasingly efficient morning routine, would have given me about an hour and a half each day to hammer words down. The increased confidence from my new and improved morning routine would give me a keen and confident air, sure to win me fame and fortune. My penis would increase in size by roughly 47% percent. My breath would be mintier, my general mien would be hoopier and more froodlike, my hair taller, my kung fu grip kung-fu-ier. It would be AWESOME.

Sadly, it just didn't work well with my evening routine. There's only so much give my social life will take. My friends hang out until 9:30 or 10. I need a few minutes beyond that to decompress before bed. It was cutting into my sleep in insidious ways. Tiny little chunks here and there, sort of a death by a thousand papercuts.

Never enough at once to kill me in the morning, really. But the constant fifteen minute shortage of sleep every night was slowly cutting into my sanity and stress levels.

At first, I thought it was the hellish winter we just had. The constant dark, snow and cold were giving me cabin fever. And yes, it was, but now that it's spring, it's becoming pretty clear that's not entirely the case.

It was kinda burning me out. I'd run out of steam in the afternoons a lot, more so as the week wore on. When I did get up, I'd find myself writing LESS instead of more. It was becoming harder to focus. I was becoming fairly irritable and my usual zen-like equanimity about life was beginning to erode.

And so I'm setting the alarm back to 5:55. The five minutes before six are there simply so I can claim I wake up before six every morning. Yes, really.

Not a big change by any means but significant. It's good to know a little bit more about how my brain and body work.

I'm a big fan of tiny experiments like this. Pushing your comfort levels in trackable, easily-reverted ways. It pays to blow things up every once in awhile, push your comfort zones, even if it's in ways that people will mock you for if they ever find out. If you don't change things up every once in a while, you wind up too comfortable with the status quo. Growth is change, after all, even in trivial amounts.

Progress on the book was, as you might guess by reading between the lines, pretty slow this week. Hopefully with more predictable sleep, I'll get back into a better groove.

No comments:

Post a Comment