Monday, July 15, 2013

Blah Mortem

Definitely one of the more boring things I've written in a while and I am including shopping lists here.

Two things working against me here: one, I needed to get the action to where it needs to be at the end of the first third of the novel, and, in this case, the most efficient way was to just do a couple of quick get-you-there scenes, which I mostly loathe writing.

The other thing is the looming specter of the big rewrite. There's a little nub of thought in the back of my head that wonders if anything I write is going to survive it, particularly stuff that I'm slightly bored writing. There's a definite element of "why bother" here because I know I'm just going to print it all out and lay down a thick layer of red ink. I'm guessing it'll be at 40k words or so when I'm finished and I really want to shave it down to around 30. So, who knows. I'm guessing a lot of streamlining is going to happen. It's going to be brutal.

And, of course, there's also that tiny gremlin inside of me that apparently hates to finish products. Fuck you, gremlin.

The next bit, however, should be a lot of fun to write. It's one of those characterization-heavy, action-heavy, surreal-crap-heavy segments that I really enjoy pumping out. In comparison, it's the difference between taking the 70's panel wagon down to the store to buy oranges when you could be bungee jumping off of a burning building, although I do not want to in any way glamorize oranges when I write that. I'm also pretty excited about some of the things I'm going to cover in the next third of the novel...which is why it was taking so long to get past this segment. I just want to get to the cool stuff.

But first, a break. I think I'm going to write more science fiction, probably another over the top shaggy dog story like "Down and Out In The Jungle Of Death", possibly with the same characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment