Monday, April 29, 2013

Post Cameron

This swack of prose--I probably shouldn't call it a short story, although I will for the purposes of avoiding the penalty-stick for my New Year's resolution--takes Cameron Webb up to the 25,000 word mark. That's roughly one-third of the book already.

I'd originally planned two more sections, but realized after finishing the first that writing it all would probably have been a 30,000 word story...in one weekend. Yeah, not gonna happen with a full time job, an exercise habit and a social life. So, I wrote up to the first major cut-point, which isn't exactly a climactic moment, but is good enough for me.

I have a good feeling about this section. There's some fun additions. I fleshed out Cameron's family a bit and went into his background a little. I've advanced the main story-line somewhat, but haven't charged fully into what the rest of the book is going to be about.

I think one thing that I really need to go into in the next draft and the sections coming up is how wizardry affects Cameron's mind set. I had that little speech early on about non-mainstream hobbies and how they make one inherently uncool, and that's something that I need to reflect in the story a bit more.

But otherwise, I had fun with this. I could have written more, but I owe it to the story and characters not to half-ass or burn out on this.

So! Part two will probably come out in a few weeks. This week, I am probably getting some teeth pulled, so I will most likely be zonked out of my gourd on pain-killers this weekend. I am going to try my hand at some 1,000 word flash fiction instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment